Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Is Fire Alive

Strange name for a blog.

Well, is it? I know the answer is most likely no, but I have never heard a really good explanation. Much of modern society and our understanding of the world is governed by arbitrary rules that we just accept. Fire possesses all of the characteristics of living things taught at school so people tend to say that it doesn't have a cellular structure and hence is not alive, but that is a very vague term. Cells vary widely in their structure and functions: some cells can reproduce and some can't; some have a nucleus, some don't; some have walls, some don't. All very vague. Fire certainly has a degree of structure-- we were all taught about the different parts of a gas flame at school. It can adapt; grow; regulate its surroundings; convert other things into fire; respond to stimuli-- just watch what happens if you stick your finger in a fire and keep it there; and fire can most definitely reproduce. Has anyone ever examined the structure further to look for more organisation?

Look anywhere for an answer to this question and you will see little debate and a smug, "We're scientists and we're telling you that fire isn't alive" kind of answer. I don't believe fire to be alive, probably through years of conditioning, but I like to keep an open mind. I actually understand what fire is, I can describe it, but I like asking awkward questions and dismissing glib answers.

OK. That's over. I don't intend to dwell on the nature of fire.

No comments: